The London International Human Rights Congress 2011
"Immigration & Integration in an Age of Austerity: Challenges and Opportunities"
Program AgendaThe London International Human Rights Congress shall take place over a period of 4 days. The goal of the Congress is to renew the International agenda on Human Rights and reiterate the importance of dedication to Human Rights on both the International and National Level. Discussion on the renewed importance of Human Rights is significant in 2011 as State?s across the globe find themselves both trying sustain a multicultural and equal society whilst simultaneously managing what has become a global debt crisis.
The Congress seeks to achieve a new global commitment to International Human Rights in this new modern Age of Austerity and will achieve these goals by exploring the routes and avenues by which a balance can be sought between dedication to a modern Human Rights regime as well as Immigration and Integration.
The following issues will be mentioned and explored:
Understanding Integration and Migration: Challenges and OpportunitiesRecent worldwide events have presented a new challenge to Policy makers across the Globe. Immigration and Integration policies have recently been overcoming difficulties which are very closely linked to the current financial crisis. Namely, Integration funds have been cut when immigrant populations are most vulnerable and shifts in the European political landscape have had a great impact on migration opportunities in Europe. During the Congress the following issues will be raised and explored:
- Opportunities from Integration
(Focus: Integration; employment; diversity; economy)
- The Challenges of Migration in an Age of Austerity
(Focus: Migration; economy; financial crisis; rights)
- The Importance of Financial Support for Integration
(Focus: EU integration policy and process; budgetary constraints; employment/unemployment)
- The Role of Immigrants in Rebuilding the Economy of Nations Post Financial Crisis
(Focus: Value of immigrants; economic recovery; the Eurozone)
- The Ongoing Financial Crisis and Europe?s Economic Capacity to Sustain Current Levels of Immigration
(Focus: EU immigration policy; the Eurozone; budgetary cuts; integration)
- The Dangers of Abandoning Integration in a Time of Economic Recovery and the Problems of a Laissez-Faire Approach
(Focus: Education; access to social services; U.S. policy; social exclusion)
Migration and Multiculturalism in a Globalised WorldIn an increasingly globalized world, migration and multiculturalism have risen in significance and become an essential and valued part of every nation?s policy agenda. In an age of austerity, compounded by the growing challenges posed by integration, governments are exploring new and innovative responses. The Congress will tackle these issues by balancing immigration and integration with human rights, and will seek to establish an intercultural dialogue based on frank exchanges of views and expertise.
- What is Multiculturalism?
(Focus: Concepts, benefits, and problems; interrelations; intercultural dialogue)
- Migration and Globalization
(Focus: Benefits, problems and challenges of free movement; national identity)
- The Balance Between Immigration and Integration versus Human Rights
(Focus: EU human rights policies; Turkey; Greece; the Middle East)
- Regional Responses to Migration in an Age of Austerity: How Can We Learn from the Examples of our Neighbors?
(Focus: National responses; regional responses; national migration policies; national initiatives)
- Increasing support for Far-Right Policies in Europe: A Symbol of Failed Integration
(Focus: France; Sweden; the Netherlands; Norway; Switzerland; extreme immigration policies; conservative movements)
- If ?Multiculturalism? in Europe Has ?Failed?: Is There an Alternative?
(Focus: Diplomatic involvement; leaders? involvement; EU states)
- The Challenge of Controlling Latin American-U.S. Immigration Policy in a Time of Austerity and Effects on Integration
(Focuses: Central America; treatment of immigrants; U.S. policy debate; economic recession; national interests)
Human Rights and Austerity: The Path AheadDespite increased international awareness, human rights are not universally acknowledged and enforced all over the world. In an era of economic crisis, the conduct of governments and political leaders will be especially important in advancing basic human rights, as leaders must ensure that political as well as social rights are respected in the face of monetary cuts and other unprecedented events. The Congress will explore the current situation, particularly regarding the rights of migrants, and will present options for the future in order to continue to support a Multicultural society.
- Human Rights in a Globalised World
(Focus: International human rights; national human rights; compliance; awareness)
- The Relationship Between Human Rights and the Economy
(Focus: Financial crisis and its effects on human rights; current affairs)
- Migrants in Conflict Situations
(Focus: Libya and Syria)
- Can Budget Cuts and Austerity Measures ever be an Explanation for Human Rights Abuses and Violations?
(Focus: Monetary adjustments; xenophobia; discrimination)
- The International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families: An Assessment of the Current Situation
(Focus: Expansion; enforcement; unemployment; European application)
Innovative Concepts of Cultural Diplomacy and the Impact of Culture on IntegrationIn an increasingly globalised world, the power of culture to transcend national borders and address disparities in religion/politics/ideology has never been more profound. The potential of Cultural Diplomacy as a tool of Integration is massive, and has the ability to harmonise and bring communites together like no other form of soft power. The Congress will explore the role of ?cultural diplomacy? in integrating immigrant communities, and will allow participants and speakers to discuss the various ways this new diplomacy can be effectively used as an integration tool.
- What is Cultural Diplomacy?
(Focus: Cultural diplomacy; international relations; art as cultural diplomacy)
- The Impact of Culture on Integration Policies
(Focus: The role and value of culture; national integration policies)
- How Can an Intercultural Dialogue Aid Legal Migration in the Age of Austerity?
(Focus: Cultural diplomacy; austerity; education; art as cultural diplomacy)
- How Can Cultural Diplomacy Aid the Integration of Ethnic Minorities?: Education and Access to Basic Social Services?
(Focus: Cultural diplomacy; education; intercultural/interreligious dialogue)
- African Migration to Europe?A New Management in the Wake of the Arab Spring
(Focus: Middle East; revolution; regime change; impact of social media; youth power)